Monday 24 March 2014

In A Career Frenzy?

For a very long time, my friends and I were in the same situation where it was nearing the end of second year and we didn’t know what on earth to do with our lives. If you’re anything like me, at eighteen, you barely knew anything about yourself, about life out of your little world and what exactly it was you wanted to be.

We worry about the future, job opportunities, university requirements, internships, graduate schemes, extra-curricular activities and flooding our CVs with enough rubbish to make us “stand out”. In this rat race of who has the better grade, or who got the better position, does anyone stop to think if they really enjoy what they are doing? Does money and prestige hold more weight than happiness?

I know many people who have graduated, worked incalculably hard (and still are) for the position they are at. However, there is always the question of “is this really me?” “am I doing what I love?” and the very common “I hate my job”.

Many people fall into the degree or profession they are in, mainly because of their family’s pressure and because of what they assume will be a high paying job. These are decent reasons, but remember it’s a question about the rest of your life, so I do not believe them to be good enough.

There are two ways of approaching this. Firstly, you have got to do your research! You need to meet people in the profession you are considering, read, research, probe, discuss, think, explore and seek counsel. Do not make the mistake I did about being lazy and too laid back about my degree choice. When you fully do your research you will realize if this degree or career choice is indeed the right one for you or not. Question if you would excel at it and reach your maximum potential, or if you would end up hating every moment of it. It will not be an accurate decision making tool, you may still not enjoy it when you are knee high in it, but this is certainly helpful. 

Secondly, you have got to be rational. If you are going to invest a lot of money into an education, it is important that you invest in an appropriate practical one. The reason why I say this is because people go to university to study degrees such as adventure and “what if harry potter was real” (these are actual degrees, google if you doubt). Everyone has something they are good at and in the wise words of Mr Mandela

“There is no passion to be found in playing small- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living”

My advice to everyone confused about their prospects, speak to career councillors and student support teams, they really do help, trust me. Do not take your future lightly because at the end of the day you will only have you to blame for not having taken the stand for what you actually wanted, and in essence, not taken a stand for your happiness.

For my Kenyan readers, check out  http://uniserveducation.com/site/. They are very helpful and for my British readers try http://sevencareercoaching.co.uk/, I have read many good reviews on them.

I hope this has helped someone.


No comments:

Post a Comment